10 January 2009

from discourse on colonialism

best read of the day. (an exerpt from a short piece by aime cesaire for my postcolonial lit/film course)

"I hear the storm. They talk to me about progress, about "achievemnts," diseases cured, improved standards of living.
I am talking about societies drained of their essence, cultures trampled underfoot, institutions undermined, lands confiscated, religions smashed, magnificent artistic creations destroyed, extraordinary possibilities wiped out.
They throw facts at my head, statistics, mileages of roads, canals, and railroad tracks.
I am talking about thousands of men sacrificed to the Congo-Ocean. I am talking about those who, as I write this, are digging the harbor of Abidjan by hand. I am talking about millions of men torn from their gods, their land, their habits, their life -- from life, from the dance, from wisdom.
I am talking about millions of men in whom fear has been cunningly instilled, who have been taught to have an inferiority complex, to tremble, kneel, despair, and behave like flunkeys.
They dazzle me with the tonnage of cotton or cocoa that has been exported, the acreage that has been planted with olive trees or grapevines.
I am talking about natural economies that have been disrupted -- harmonius and viable economies adapted to the indigenous populatoin -- about food crops destroyed, malnutrition permanently introduced, agricultural development oriented soley toward the benefit of the metropolitan countries, about the looting of products, the looting of raw materials.
They pride themeslves on abuses eliminated....They talk to me about civilization, I talk about proletarianization and mystification...
Every day that passes, every denial of justice, every beating by the police, every demand of the workers that is drowned in blood, every scandal that is hushed up, every punitive expedition, every police van, every gendarme, and every militiaman, brings home to us the value of our old societies....."

2 comments:

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

"Frika," I can't say I completely understood this blog. I must not be smart enough. But, I do love current events and history, so I enjoyed it anyway. How was seeing Brittany over break? P.S. I haven't seen Benjamin Button but I did read the short story and I loved it!

little miss erika said...

Hah, well I'm in one of my many courses that have to do with postcolonial studies and this was just a really powerful reading for me. Our first three readings were by colonizers themselves, supporting and justifying their actions (oppression). And this author just kinda counteracts that cost.

Break was awesome! I'll tell you about it soon! And not in a comment on my blog! Hahaha

=) Hawaii misses youu!