20 February 2012

balance

I had this morning off at my internship because of the holiday. I still have class tonight, but that left me with a lot of hours to fill. So, I decided to try something new to increase my productivity and satisfy my need to just chill.

I slept in and then gave myself a "start time" for the day. Until that time, I could do whatever I wanted. I could just meander on Facebook and Tumblr, eat breakfast, sleep longer, anything. 

Then, at the start of my day, I set a "fun time #1" and I had to finish certain tasks in the next 1-1.5 hours before I could reward myself with "fun time." 

Then I at the start of fun time, I set a deadline before I would have to get back to productive time. 

And I have been doing this in rotations for the past 6-7 hours. And I must say, so far it is working great! I let myself get my social network business out of the way, so I didn't feel distracted when I started my first session of homework. As a reward for finishing, I played around a little more online, then decided to exercise and shower with the remaining time. That reenergized me, and I was ready for round two of business time, and I got so much done! I made all the phone calls I needed to, packed up things in my room, completed assignments for both of my classes, and did the dishes. During round 2 of fun time I painted my nails and texted friends, and I am about to start round 3 of fun time with a Project Runway rerun.

Now, if only I had this much self control in scheduling myself every day. 

You know what, why not? I will practice and soon every day can be like today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! that is so great! I should do that! I've been wasting my time on not-so-productive things and this is a great way to do it! You are awesome!!!