03 May 2009

future maybe?

Doing my research on grad schools. I searched real hard last fall, thinking I'd graduate in June. Then in October I applied for the Peace Corps. In January I got my passport, and in February I received my baggage tag and another letter letting me know I would get my assignment in the next few months. And then I went home.

And I'm no longer graduating in June...
And they cancelled my Peace Corps application.

And now I don't know what I want at all.
I will graduate in December. And it's looking like I will move to Salt Lake. Good friends, enough connections to find a place to live and to get a job until I decide what's next.

Today my mom suggested I look at U of U. My oldest sister applied there (and ended up in Illinois for a year before getting married, finishing at UNI, and now she and her hubby are getting their Ph.D.'s at LSU) but I had never considered it.

So far, I like the looks of this: Environmental Humanities -- "a humanities perspective on environmental ares of scholarship...The program is designed to provide students with a broad-based understanding of social, cultural, ethical, historical, communication, and literary perspectives and with a focus on how these humanities perspectives intersect with and influence public policy, scientific, legal, industrial, and corporate concerns."

The courses are taken from the Communications, English, History, Languages & Literature, Linguistics, and Philosophy departments. I'm a big fan of the range of all of the courses, and I've already taken several of them in undergrad studies (International Cultural Studies/World Humanities). But I really like the looks of Contemporary Social Movements, Public Relations Issues and Campaigns, Community Engagement, History of Rhetorical Movements, Studies in Nonfiction Prose, Environmental Writing, Ecocriticism, Wonder, and the Spiritual Imagination, Folklore Method and Theory (even though it looks a lot like my Narrative, Identity, and Culture class), Global Environmental History, Colonies and Cultures, Philosophy of Language, and Comtemporary Ethical Theory.

I have no idea what I would do with that after, but I likes the looks of it. I think this program may be worth looking into.
(p.s. how many times can i write "i like the looks of" in one blogpost?)

3 comments:

Anna Banana said...

I've been having future-related panic attacks almost every evening for almost a year. It's a pleasant nightly ritual I rather look forward to.

sooo...can we all just join hands and wander off on world adventures instead?

okay!

Tingler said...

panic attack. no fun. I'm pretty much set up for the photography-journalism-art thing. I still yet have begun my formal education in those things, still got a long way to go. And the industry is a bit competitive these days... so thats gonna add more uncertainty... I might go study sociology for graduate school? I'll tell you why later on.

but hope you figure out things....

good thing if you stay in utah... I might be able to visit a few... ha

Unknown said...

Ah! You're at the VERY best time in your life! I did so many cool things when I didn't do the peace corps. I volunteered in Ireland with the Irish Wheelchair association. I studied the educational systems in Brazil, I bummed around Paris for a year, I traveled to Mongolia, I taught English in Korea, I sang somgs from Evita in Buenos Aires for my birthday, I hiked the Swiss Alps! Ahhhhh, amazing!

Yes, please ask me anything and everything about grad school that you desire!!