16 July 2008

where else is there?

Last week I was an EFY counselor. It was absolutely amazing, but I have never been so tired in my entire life. I will have to write about all of that soon. Long story short --- I fell in love with a bunch of amazing people.

Last night Eesh, Ang, and I went to Sunset for sunset. It was incredible. I love living in Hawaii. I forget I am in Hawaii every other day. That is a shame. I have such a great life. Last night the sun reflected onto the water, doubling the sunset as the sun fell from the sky and sunk into the ocean waves. The sky turned a beautiful orange, yellow, and pink -- a tropical watercolor complete with palm trees and sand in my our toes.

Well as we were enjoying our makeshift Foodland dinners on my blue and tan beach blanket, an old man with a parrot comes by. He is wearing a tank top and spandex. His hair is white and short, his skin tanned leather, and his limbs long and lanky. He had gloves and a pretty white bird on a leash. He wandered down towards the water, just playing with his bird and glancing around to see who is watching. At first I thought "Oh great. Here comes an old bum trying to make money off the tourists with his bird tricks." But he didn't walk over to bother anyone. He just walked around, sometimes standing still for several minutes, watching the sunset and his flapping bird.

It made me sad. The longer I watched the man, the sadder I felt. He looked so lonely there in his skin and bones with the glow of the day easing down behind him. He noticed us staring several times and finally came over to chat. His bird's name is Nieli -- Nosy. He has been living in Hawaii since he finished college. When we asked him if he lives around here (meaning Sunset) he replied "Where else is there?" One day he saw a hurt bird and his heart went out to it. He's been buying birds for pets and rescuing/recovering birds for awhile now. He has 16 birds. Mostly small like Nieli, but a couple big ones. I assume that he lives by himself. I wonder if he had a wife, a family. Where are they now.

He comes every night to watch the sunset. He brings a few of his birds out, one by one, to feel the fresh air, to play in the sand, and to see the sun reflect on the water before it goes to sleep. He takes a $2 yoga class over at Waimea Falls in the mornings. He invited us -- "If you don't have your own mat, you have to get there early. The instructor only brings a few. He's a really great teacher. Talks you through each move. I love it."

He invited us back to see his other birds at the sunset. Not tomorrow though, he said. I won't be there tomorrow. But you girls probably have better things to do than sit and talk with an old man on the beach.

We had to leave soon after, but we thanked him and assured him we'd probably see him at some other sunset. We walked to the car and he followed us on his bike to say a few more words.

I never want to have 16 birds.

2 comments:

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Oh my goodness. I was at Sunset Beach watching the Sunset on Tuesday! And yes, it was incredible. This is the greatest archipelago ever. I'm glad EFY went well and that you found fulfillment in your service. That sounded cheesy, but seriously... If you keep up the good posts I will keep reading them!

Kelsey said...

Oh my goodness ERIKA! Please go look at Lauren's album on facebook and there is a picture of that bird man!
I miss you guys so much! I am so jealous and Lauren and i are trying to come back sooo soon!
P.S I love your blog.