26 September 2011

dear internet

Thank you for helping me to keep in touch with my friends living everywhere. I get so excited when I see posts from my friends in Utah, or Hawaii, or Canada, or Korea, and who knows where else. I love reading more details about your life than photos on Facebook give me. Sorry I do not update as much, but I will try to do better. If I expect my dear friends to post at least once a week because it makes me happy, then shouldn't I be writing for my friends too?

Life right now is mostly class and work. I am working at a children's fitness center, which some close friends and family will find quite amusing considering I am not a "kid person." I am the baby of my family and have never spent much time around children. I never took moms up on their offer to hold their baby, and I usually did not do more than smile at kids who crossed my path.

But that changed when I lived with three kids under the age of nine for a year. Having a three year old insist on teaching me how to write my own name, tucking me into bed, and giving me zombie smooches broke down my child proof walls.

My boss and the moms I see at work compliment me on how great I am with kids. I can make kids participate that won't for the other teachers. I can make the kid who won't smile dance with me. I am constantly chased around the gym by giggling 2 year olds.

While working with children is not what I want to do for a career, I think I am getting some good practice for later.

Classes are interesting - right now I am doing research for exhibitions on beer, repurposing objects, and apocalyptic art.
The hardest part is actually doing my homework when I'd much rather be hanging out with Travis. Or playing on Pinterest. 

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Pinterest takes up so much of my time now days!! I miss you Fricka! Lets have a hawaii reunion!

Anonymous said...

Word to that! I seriously love how I can keep in touch with you and other friends who are thousands of miles away from me! I love it when you post something on your blog too!! I love you!! I will make sure and post something often even though there are only few people read my blog!!