13 July 2010

Oh Baby



This past weekend my mother and I went to the Bodies Exhibition. It came to Honolulu not terribly long ago, but I never made it. Anywho, it was SPECTACULAR. Fascinating. Mind-boggling. I realized just how absolutely little I know about the human body. It’s so intricate and genius and brilliantly crafted. Seeing REAL bones and muscles and arteries and brains and hearts and lungs (etc) was…surreal.
Most organs just looked kinda gross, the arteries looked like coral, and seeing healthy lungs vs. smokers’ lungs was amazing, but the most powerful pieces of the exhibit were without a doubt the BABIES.

Besides the whole “sex-creates-babies” thing being a bit incomprehensible, seeing actual babies throughout their growth was even more insane. There were small fetuses in glass jars, labeled with the age in weeks. While the first few weeks looked like nothing more than a flesh colored lump, by week six already the fetus looks like a very very mini (like the size of my fingernail) baby. As in, you can make out the head and the face and the curve of the baby’s body! And then seeing each step of the developmental process…and seeing a real uterus and what it looks like pre-baby…and then realizing that that baby goes inside of it…and that it stretches into that huge baby belly?!
Insane.

Oh, baby.

1 comment:

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I really, really didn't like this aspect of Bodies. In fact, I think I skipped it becuase it was just too much for me.