23 November 2008

Part I: Morning Rush

My eyes flew open. I stared at the white ceiling and the rays of sun spilling through the window slats. Hazy, sparkling air stared back at me. Good Morning.

I sat up in a rush and scrambled to the end of my bed. I'd had trouble sleeping, so I flipped my pillow to where my feet usually rested, and now my alarm/phone and my bed stand stood at the other end. 7:34am. Oh. I exhaled relief. I still have another half hour to sleep.

"Sunshine, I'd really like to tell ya, oh my Sunshine...." Good Morning. I stretched and turned, sat up, popped my back, let out a lion's roar of a yawn, and turned the welcoming sounds of Matt off. I glanced at Sleeping Beauty. She mumbled "Good Morning" and rolled over. I grabbed my lap top and my books, left our cozy bedroom, and sat down at the stiff, strong dining room table. Homework.

9:30am. I patted myself dry with a fresh towel. I wiped the makeup from under my eyes and dried my hair. I pulled on my swimsuit and opened the door. "You missed a couple phone calls." I threw on a jumper and went outside. My car was fixed! I called Ting, Christina, and Alyssa. Time to go!










First I picked up Alyssa, then Christina, and then Ting. One eye stayed on the clock and I could feel that our rush to catch the 10:30 bus was going to be close. As we passed the Chevron, TheBus loomed ahead. It had pulled over at the PCC to pick up some passengers. "Go! Go!" I hit the gas and passed TheBus. It pulled up behind us. I pressed down even harder on the gas. As the road turned, I kept my eyes out for a police car, and my eyes back on TheBus. It was gone. I called Collette and asked her to bring my towel outside, "It's going to be close! We're almost home, come out to meet TheBus."

As I pulled into the driveway, I felt so good. I hadn't driven in almost a month, and having control of where and when I go was refreshing. As I shifted the gears and pulled up the brake, I heard a shout. TheBus was right behind us. Ting hopped out of the car, waved his arms, and ran. TheBus stopped. Without looking behind me, I grabbed my keys and headed toward the house. "Collette! Collette!" She came running out of the house carrying my towel. I grabbed it from her and we turned to see Christina and Alyssa sprinting across the grassy lot.

I felt the wind blowing back my hair and I felt the still dewy grass squish beneath my feet. I was running too. I heard Collette's laugh and I smiled, too. Running felt so good. The air felt so good on my skin. I pulled my two dollars from my pocket and slid them into their place. I was short of breath and laughing. The hiccupping laughs sounded so outside of myself. Good Morning! Today is going to be a good day.







2 comments:

Nathan Williams said...

i like the description

wish i had been there!

alyssa said...

remember?!